Friday, May 02, 2008

Personal Preparedness

I didn't used to think of myself as a survivalist of any sort, but with the California wildfires that came so close to my home last year, as well as the dramatic increase in food and energy prices, I have decided to do a bit of preparing in case something bad happens.

In case there is another wildfire and I have to evacuate my family, or the economy really takes a downturn and I lose my job, I want to have just enough supplies on hand that my family can be self sufficient without relying on government aid. (Anyone remember the hurricane Katrina fiasco?)

I won't go into the details of everything I am working on, but for those of you who are interested, I found an nice resource on preparedness and want to make you aware of it. It is the LDS Preparedness Manual and can be downloaded for free by linking here.


While I am not Mormon, this is an excellent resource. It includes everything from monthly shopping lists to develop a year supply of food, to practical discussions on how to be self-reliant in case of a natural disaster.

No comments: