Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Wife's a Shooter


I am a member of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute owned and operated by Dr. Igantius Piazza. Front Sight has the greatest firearms training facilities open to the public in the world, in my opinion.

Well, a while back I decided that I wanted my wife to learn to use a handgun in order to protect herself. Despite the bias against guns, especially the canard that a gun in the home increases the likelihood it will be used against the family, current statistics show that approximately 500 women use a gun to prevent a crime against themselves every day.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender. --Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)
Given that I love my wife dearly, I want to be sure she is taken care of if I am not around. Hence, I signed her up for a special free gun offer by Front Sight which, for $1200, included not only a 4 Day Defensive Handgun course and a number of other goodies, but also included a Springfield Armory 40-caliber XD.

I consulted with several female members of Front Sight about the best way to prepare my wife for the 4 Day Defensive Handgun Class. In addition to the kind of gear she would likely need, they suggested that I take my wife to the range to get her used to firing a gun.

The best advice came from both Kim and Bob that I should take my wife out to AllSafe Defense Systems run by TJ Johnston to take a course before she goes out to Front Sight.

I will write more about my wife's experience with AllSafe in the next post, but it was an excellent experience overall. The only downside to the course at AllSafe is now my wife is going to get expensive considering all the ammunition I am going to have to buy her in the future.

No comments: